Thursday, August 18, 2011

Celebrating

(Holy Cow. This is a long post. Be prepared with a snack or a drink to keep you going if you plan to read the whole thing.)

I was afraid for this birthday to come. Not because I'm getting too old. Grant's always going to be older than me. I was afraid because this was the first birthday I wouldn't be able to celebrate with Connie. I was afraid I would be sad. Birthdays and sad are enemies. So, I was afraid.

But this birthday was really something neat. And it wasn't sad one bit.

Sure, we missed our families and friends, but we partied the best we knew how. And it was fun. And the best parties always last three days. So ours did too.

Sharon and Steve gave Grant tickets to the Cincinnati Reds game. Grant is a baseball lover, so this was the perfect gift. He kept saying that's all he wanted for his birthday, so I didn't need to get him anything. Nice work Hewards! You made my job much easier.

Jeff, Jen, and Shaun joined us on our trip to Cincinnati. We visited the outlet mall, where I tried to steal some pj's from the Gap. They were hiding in the stroller.

We didn't have time to make it to the flea market. I think I owe Jeff a switchblade because of that.

We stopped at Jungle Jims, not the kiddie play land, but the super humongo grocery store. This place was crazy. It is like the grocery version of Ikea. They had every food item ever made in the world. Honestly. Everything. The store was so huge, they gave out maps at the beginning to help you navigate through. We spent a while perusing the treasures and we picked out some fun stuff for lunch. We eventually had to drag Shaun out of there. Not really. But he sure did love that place. He'll gladly take any visitors there.
Josie and the parrot shaped cheese. 

Then the moment we were all waiting for.... the game.
We were a few innings late (my favorite way to go to a baseball game). But we saw an awesome three- run homer just as we got there. Josie was hooting and hollering like crazy. She is a natural baseball fan.







That was the last run for the Reds. A bit depressing. But a quick thunderstorm kept things exciting. It cleared up and the game finished. Reds - 3. Padres - 7. Darn it. Awesome memories anyway. Thanks Steve and Sharon! We all loved it!

The next day, Monday, was Grant's birthday. He was as at school most of the day, but just as he got home, we got showered with gifts! The mailman delivered three packages! Whoa. I have never gotten three packages at once! That was rad.

My mom sent us a party in a box, complete with confetti, balloons, and a rice krispie cake. Thanks mama! 


That night, we a had some friends over for a little barbecue. Super good food. Even better company.





For my birthday, on Tuesday, Shaun watched Josie while Grant and I went out for dinner. I like that Grant of mine. We had a good time and ate too much. 

 I wore a fancy new dress. And by fancy, I mean $3.50 from the Salvation Army.
And my new sandals from my mama
 AND a fancy new ring! Grant got me a pretty gold band for my birthday!


We finished up the night with a skype session with my family. 
We had great birthdays. Even though we weren't with our families, we still felt their love. 
We are lucky people. 






3 comments:

  1. i LOVE your pictures! How do you get that old-fashioned effect? It's amazing! PS, my sister, Allison has a brother-in-law that is a pitcher for the Reds. I think he is injured right now, but maybe you saw him. Jordan Smith is his name. Anyway, Happy Birthday to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. Allison is almost famous! That is neat!
    I wish I had some special secret for the pictures. All it is the hipstamatic app on my ipod! It is fool proof. And fun. I use it for all my pictures now. I need to learn how to use my other camera, but these are just so much fun! And I don't have to think about it. They always work. By the way, I would love to see your blog. My email is mcdonald dot candace at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Love Love your darling blog. Makes me laugh (then cry a bit) every time I read it! I'm glad your birthdays were so fun and that you were able to use the 'party' supplies. Loved the balloons in the tree!! The ring is BEAUTIFUL!! Glad the shoes fit-they're super cute on you. xoxo from your momma

    ReplyDelete