Friday, August 12, 2011

Living

We really live in Kentucky.
I just realized it.

Here's how I know.

I am a Kentucky driver. I worked hard for this. 
My first visit to the clerk's office was stressful. Something about government offices makes me extremely nervous. I tried to be really prepared. I called the right people and read the right websites and gathered the right papers and had the right address. Everything should have gone smoothly. 

But then I couldn't even find the proper parking garage. Then I couldn't find the inspection guy. Then my new insurance papers weren't right. Then I only had $60 and it cost $73. And it has to be cash. Then Josie was saying, "Hi!" to everyone. She is so friendly. Then Grant and Shaun finally showed up. Just as I was walking out. I handed off Josie to Grant and ran upstairs to get my driver's license. Then I didn't have a birth certificate or a passport. I thought my SS card was enough. Nope.
So, finally after running up and down the stairs 10 times and sweating up a storm, I was able to walk out of the office with a real, legitimate Kentucky license plate, but no driver's license.

Then it was the wrong plate. Apparently I inadvertently chose the religious one. Which is really fine. Except no one else has that one. I guess I'm keeping a little Utah.

Then the next day I made a quick, sweat-free visit to a little driver's license place for my own driver's license. Now I can't drive like a crazy, lost person. I look like a local now. 

I met three neighbors. If I moved to China, Japan, or India, I would be scared to talk to people too. 

I made holes in our walls. Mostly they are with little pins. Grant hates that I use little pins because they bend. But I use them because they make smaller holes. I feel less guilty about it.




If anyone has brilliant ideas for renters about covering big, blank walls, let me know. Also, it should be cheap. We are getting poor pretty quickly.

We have friends here. Most of them have been transplanted here from Utah, too. Thanks church for helping us make friends.

But some of them come from Kentucky and other states too. They are school friends.
They had a fun little party at Will's lake house today. It was the first gathering with Grant's class that wasn't at a bar. There was no shortage of alcohol, however. At one point Josie was whining for a sip of "juice."


We really had a nice time floating in the lake, which is actually a river. But a wide river.
And we got to explore a little more of this beautiful state. We crossed the Kentucky river, which has a curved bridge, which I learned is pretty rare. Want to know more about it? Ask Shaun.





I always feel a little awkward taking other people's pictures. Maybe one day, I'll get more courage and then you can see some of our friends. 

Also, Grant and I have been asked to speak in church. We really live here. It's official. And I like it. 

5 comments:

  1. Ive been blog stalking you... hope you dont mind. :) Your little Josie is adorable. I know the feeling of a long drive, and a long move. Its rough, but we all survive. Love the pic you have of the Utah/Kentucky love print. So cute. Needs to get me one. Not of Kentucky though. I have no connection to Kentucky. Glad you're surviving the humidity. Keep posting so I can keep stalking. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks Katrina! I love me some blog stalking. That's the funny thing about blogs. You never know who's reading it.... a little spooky, but fun too!
    The Utah/Kentucky picture is super easy. You can make your own. I just used white contact paper. I traced the outline of the state and stuck it to the glass. The brown background is just the backing of the frame. The lines go around the edge to hide some little holes that were in the back! It took me maybe half an hour, and that was with Josie's help too!
    And we are surviving quite well! We love Kentucky. But there's nothing like visiting with close friends and family. Internet visiting is the best we've got! Thank heavens for it.
    wow. I can write a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! You have a blog! Get me your email address if you want to read ours. I am so excited to keep up with you! Hope things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to see that you have a blog, please post often so I can keep up on all the adventures, and please stay safe. Please tell Grant and Shaun we wish them all the best with school, I know they will do awesome. Lots of Love, The Merediths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candace,
    Your blog makes me laugh out loud. I've been reading since day one. Congrats on the new license. You look great in the picture too. I noticed your call for cheap decor for renters. One great idea is to use fabric. You can cut out large shapes, or graphic pieces and adhere them to the wall with spray starch. They stick great and peel off when it's time to move. You could do giant flowers or animals or a big wall map with states in different fabrics. This would be pretty cheap if you could get fabric at a yard sale. May take a little time, but I can see that you are crafty, so it would be no problem for you. I thought you and grant bought a house...guess I'm crazy.
    So glad to hear that y'all are getting involved with your ward family. Love it that grant has to speak in church. You are such a great example.
    Keep posting. I'm sure I won't be able to hold myself back from commenting every now and then.

    ReplyDelete