Sunday, November 27, 2011

feasting


One time Paula Deen gave me some advice.
She told me to only use tried and true recipes for Thanksgiving dinner.
Thanksgiving is a big meal. You wouldn't want to mess it all up with some goofy recipe.

But, Paula must not know me very well.
She didn't know that I rarely make the same recipe twice.
Why would Thanksgiving be an exception?

Grant and I (mostly me) volunteered to be responsible for the turkey, the stuffing, the green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, and a couple pies.  Mmmmmm.

So I set out to find some tasty recipes. I scoured the internet for days, but I had to overcome a real big challenge. You see, I always want everyone to like every thing I make. I'm an extreme people pleaser when it comes to cooking. But I had a problem named Shaun. He likes to eat. But he doesn't like the traditional Thanksgiving spice blend. No rosemary. No thyme. No sage.

Just try to find a decent turkey recipe that doesn't use those spices? Nigh unto impossible. Then try to find a stuffing recipe to please Shaun. Also very hard.

But I succeeded. Everyone at the table like everything. Even Shaun. Especially Shaun.

Presenting an (almost) sage/rosemary/thyme free Thanksgiving dinner....
Brined and Roasted Orange and Peppercorn Turkey. Recipe from Pioneer Woman
It was very delicious. The turkey brines in a bit of rosemary, but you can hardly taste it when it's all said and done. 

My greatest success. Pork sausage, crimini mushrooms, and sourdough bread are the stars. Complemented by onion, celery, and a bit of marjoram. 
Simple and outstanding. Recipe from here.

This classic dish got a little makeover. I am scared of cream of whatever soup. So we made our own creamy sauce. And topped it with French's classic onions. We couldn't escape their crunchy, fried, goodness. Recipe inspired by this one.

We chose to make apple and chocolate mousse pies. Recipes from here and here.
Grant made the wonderfully flaky crust for both pies from this recipe.
And Shaun's pumpkin pie is in the back.

It was a feast indeed. 
She loved it too. Don't let her fool you.

We have so much to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment