Friday, October 14, 2011

Visiting

I'm a countdown kind of person. I need to know how many days are left until the next holiday, birthday, party, or celebration. I like to be prepared mentally for the fun that will ensue.
I countdown to scary things too. I definitely counted down the days when we moved.
I countdown mundane events like doctors appointments or my favorite exercise class.
I'm beginning to wonder if it is becoming an obsession...

I've created a calendar to help Grant stay caught up on the countdowns. It hangs above his desk in our bedroom. He spends a lot of time at that desk, studying away. I thought for sure he would pay some attention to it. Yet somehow, he's not a counter downer.

For example, I say, "Grant, do you know what tomorrow is?"
And he says, "No."
And I say, "Tomorrow is special, because one week from tomorrow we will be packing to go to Utah."
And he says, "Huh?"

And this shows me he does not participate in a good countdown.
Maybe he has a lot on his mind or something...

I, however, had been thinking about heading to Utah for quite some time. I prepared myself early on for the fun of family.

I even prepared myself for the long flight required to make it to Utah. I made a cutesy little quiet book to entertain Josie. I was armed with Josie's favorite snacks. Plenty of diapers and wipes. And soft tissues to wipe a drippy nose.

But plane rides with babies are long and hard, no matter how much you prepare. Especially when baby won't fall asleep at 11:30 p.m. She really wanted to fall asleep, but she couldn't figure out how to close her eyes with the lights on. She fussed for 15 or so minutes, before she slipped off into a awkward slumber. It felt a lot longer. And I was a sweaty mess after wrangling her.
When we landed in Utah, I felt different. I knew I was so close to family. I felt soft and calm and warm. I think Josie felt something too, because she started calling for grandma and grandpa. 
When we arrived at the Heward's that evening, Josie was hilarious. She was showing off every trick she knew. My mama joined us there and we partied until 1 a.m. Which was actually 3 a.m. for our bodies. It was just too fun to see people in real life.
       
 We kept ourselves pretty busy during our stay. And I didn't document most of it. Oops.

We played hard. Really hard.
And then we went home.
I am counting down until the next visit. December 15th. That's 63 days.

2 comments:

  1. Me too! Now it's only 56!! Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, LOVE COUNT DOWNS- Sometimes it keeps me from living in the now- except on New years- I just go to bed at 9:00 pm!

    ReplyDelete